Tuesday, August 22, 2017

A new start

It is hard to believe that it is now 2017. Our girls are growing so big now, and the difficulties that I faced when they were babies and toddlers.  Now, though it seems like only yesterday, they are now almost 9 year old young ladies.  They are starting the 4th grade this year.

Just to catch some people up, Sierra's almost completely healed from what she was born with.  The only issues remaining are a motor skill delay and a hernia that we are going to discuss with the doctor at her next checkup. There has been no progression of it, but it is time that we got that taken care of for her. Past time.

A few years ago, I had to make the difficult decision to have a hysterectomy. I did not want to have to make the decision, so I put it off until I could not stand the pain.  The progression of Endometriosis and Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome took its toll until I couldn't function with the pain almost every other week. So, our girls are the only children we will have naturally. As of right now, I feel very blessed to have my wonderful daughters. I miss the idea of having more children, but feel blessed that we could have the two we have. God is good.

Also, last year, I quit my job. I quit working out of my home and have switched to being a stay-at-home mom.  Our financial situation is difficult, but we did not make the decision lightly, and I had felt led to do this for my girls for quite a few years. I also homeschool my girls now, last year was our first year trying to accomplish this.  They went from average to under performing in public school to now performing above average in their grade level.

Ok, back to Sierra, her motor skill delay is only slight now.  We have been using ASL classes to help build her muscle and motor memory, and now she only struggles when learning a new skill.  Once those skills develop (lots and lots of practice at the skill), the delay disappears. This is amazing progress for her.  There have also been no further advancement of any of the difficulties that she faced so early in her life. Her healing has truly been a miracle.

Alyssa, also, has show no sign of any problem from the failure to thrive that she was diagnosed when she was a baby.  If you don't know, most children who are diagnosed with this develop learning disabilities, ADHD, and other social or learning difficulties. To date, we have had no such thing develop. It is amazing, and again we feel blessed.

Now, we use an online public school for both of our children after trying brick and mortar schools for Pre-K to 2nd Grade. After many years of struggle for them, we made the decision to try something different.  I am so glad that we did.  We have social time with many outings, co-op with our church, and meet-ups with the online public school that we attend.  Homeschool options have changed so much from when I was a child (I was never homeschooled), and I am glad that these are now available.

No comments: