Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Hospitals, Doctors, Work, Oh My!

OK, as you can see from the title, it has been a very busy couple of weeks. I'll start from the beginning.

On the 10th I had a doctor's appointment and everything was going fine, until the 11th. Then it got harry. I started having regular contractions and had to go to the hospital to stop them. They gave me this drug that stopped the contractions, but for about a hour or so I looked like I was having a seizure due to the shakes that was a side effect of the drug. Needless to say, I requested to be prescribed something different. I definitely did not want to "freak" my coworkers or husband out when that side effect kicked in. Instead, they gave me a drug that makes me look sunburned and sway like a drunk person. But, it does stop the contractions.

I went the following Monday, and was essentially told that I would probably go on bed rest the following week. I, of course, panic due to the fact that I would not have enough leave and had been told that if I ran out of leave, I would loose my job. No stress, right? In order to prevent stress, Gary and I have been planning for the worst. He has decided to find a second job, and I am on self-imposed bed rest every night after work.

Now, for the good news. It appears that the bed rest worked and bought me some more time at work. I went to the doctor today and was told that I would be able to work to the next appointment. 10 more days!!!! And this gets me to the end of the month. What this essentially means is that I will not loose my job as long as I deliver by 36 weeks. Most people with twins deliver between 34-37 weeks. So all I have to do is get another week after this appointment. I think that bed rest is going to come into play for quite some time, but at least I get to work, and it is not complete bed rest.

5 weeks to 34.... I can make it!!!!

1 comment:

mommy to Kaden, Brody and angel Ava said...

That would be very stressful, having to worry about whether you will be able to keep your job or not. I think that it is pretty crappy that they can't be more flexible. I just want you to know though that there is some type of federal law that your employer has to give you like 6-9 weeks of unpaid leave since you are pregnant (or something like that). You should try to find out exactly what it is. Well, continue to do what is working for you, so if it means bed rest after work...get in that bed right when you get home!!! Take care and we are all thinking about you.

Love,
Amy