Sunday, November 2, 2008

First one thing, then another...

Well, it seems that we have come so far from the hospital, but some of the problems still remain. I had a weight check this past week. The girls actually failed. They are not gaining weight like they should be. I am now no longer able to breastfeed them exclusively. After their appointment this last Thursday, I had to schedule an appointment with their doctor. He agreed with the findings, so now I am back to pumping. The girls are now getting 2 oz of a special formula mixed with 1 oz breast milk. It is difficult, because I feel that I have been starving them, and not intentionally. I tried so hard to be able to breastfeed them, but they were not get enough calories from it.
The good news is that the formula is working. They are finally starting to gain weight. I just am left feeling like a failure to provide for them, or not to notice it sooner and be able to take action sooner. Alyssa is at a very dangerous weight. She was only weighing 5lbs4oz at 18" long. This means that my baby girl was so skinny that she had nothing, but I did not think it was a cause for concern. She had been so skinny from when she was born, I thought that it was just how she was going to be. I did not know that I was not providing enough food for her. I am thankful that it was discovered before she had to go back into the hospital, but I still feel responsible. I should of noticed it and saw someone immediately before she got that skinny.
Sierra also was not gaining weight fast enough, but it was not as bad as her sister. I feel like we are getting past one hurdle, only to find another immediately in front of us. When do we get to stop having these problems??? I would really like to have a break from facing these minor issues. Yes, I do know that they are minor, but we can not seem to get past them. We get past one, and have another.
Sierra, though, has had enough weight to try to meet some milestones. I am going to stop griping, because seeing Sierra try to figure out how to crawl is amazing since only 2 months ago we were afraid that she would not be able to do this this soon. She has got her legs figured out, as you can see in the video. She just can not lift her upper body yet. Keep trying baby girl, you'll get there.

Alyssa, we love you and your sister very much. Keep fighting, and I promise to pay more attention. I am sorry that I did not notice sooner.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

It's ok! That is why they have the weight checks, and you really need to keep in mind that you have 2 baby girls not just one, and the first time breast feeding is always the hardest, especially since you have two! They are looking really good! And I'm sure that if you keep up the hard work you might be able to get back to exclusively breast feeding again. Just keep in mind it may take more then just half an hour to feed them, I nursed until mine went to sleep, using pillows and such until he was 18 months, so just keep up the good work and don't stress too much, you are a new mommy after all and it is all new to you! :)

Unknown said...

PS Look at that red hair! She is soooo cute!

SonnysWife0307 said...

i am sorry to hear things are getting a little harder but you know god is by her side and will keep you all strong through this difficult time all you have to do is remember to pray and talk to him... me and sonny will pray for alyssa and sierra both and let them know that auntie leslie and future uncle sonny are praying for them ok..... love u sis